Message Board

RANDTS will last a thousand years.

- Albert


Taking People For Granted

Love. It's such a sensational topic, isn't it, especially when one has nothing else to write? Anyway, I'm not going to talk about love anymore, although I have lots to write about love. Of course, I am also one who was in a relationship before both parties decided to call it quits just recently (OK, maybe not so recent also). How long did it last? Hmm... you make a guess for yourself. Only a few of you would know.

Anyway, there were so many posts that discussed about love, and something struck me that I would like to share about. When it comes to love, there are various types of love, besides the "boy-girl" type. You can't deny that, can you?

My point is this: that while we are doing things we like, we often forget about the people surrounding us, people whom we do not think highly of, people we often overlook, people whom we think are just ordinary individuals or people who are simply unimportant to us. We always take people for granted, consciously or unconsciously.

Is there anybody whom you have taken for granted? Is there anybody whom you need to thank but the thought has never occurred in your mind? Is there anybody who may not be anyone special to you but has been assisting you behind the scenes all this while?

Nothing could hurt you more than to know that somebody is taking you for granted. If you are unaware of it, perhaps it would just be good, but if you are there is no escape of feeling under-appreciated and undermined. It is only human nature to feel negatively if one is not appreciated for what he or she has done for another particular individual.

So, is there a way we can approach this problem of feeling that we have been taken for granted? What can we do to stop feeling under-appreciated, undermined and uncared? Are you going to just reach out to the person you felt who have under-appreciated you and state right in his or her face that they are taking you for granted? Wouldn't that make you more conceited?

Not that I have never felt under-appreciated, undermined and being taken for granted. I feel that all the time, even in my university life. But life has still got to go on. Yes, sometimes you wish that the person would know how bad you feel, but I tell you the truth, don't wish for it. The reason is obvious. More likely you'll end up feeling dejected.

Some people take others for granted because they feel that "he/she is doing it willingly". But don't forget, my friends, that although they are willing to do something for you, at least show some courtesy to affirm, appreciate, thank sincerely and, if possible, return the favour. Though it is little, the effect is vast.

Personally, I haven't found a solution to let people know if I felt undermined or being taken for granted. Not that I would want the whole world to know all that I've done and make people thank me or something like that, but if I have really put in effort and commitment into something, I would prefer that the other party respond by showing some appreciation or participation.

I don't expect anything in return for all the favours that I've done. But you must understand how a simple "thank you" can melt one's heart. However, sometimes a "thank you" is insufficient. Spending more time in a conversation with that particular individual can make him or her feel more appreciated. And at the end of the day, if you still remember and credit him or her for the commitment, wouldn't you have made his or her day much more meaningful?

So, brothers and sisters, I urge you to step back a moment and look back. Is there anybody whom you have taken for granted? Is there anybody whom you need to thank but the thought has never occurred in your mind? Is there anybody who may not be anyone special to you but has been assisting you behind the scenes all this while?

If the answer is yes, I encourage you to at least drop a message (in Windows Live Messenger, GoogleTalk or the like), give the particular individual a telephone call, write an e-mail or talk to the person directly about it, affirm them and thank them for their efforts, commitments and assistance. On a personal level, I know that I have taken some people for granted. Therefore, besides affirming them, it's also wise to apologise for undermining them all this while.

Right, I've got a Chinese Orchestra meeting to attend now. I'd better be going. *rushes off in hurry*

4 mad rant(s):



Got something to say? Please leave a comment! Your feedback and opinions are extremely valuable to us here at RANDTS. You also might want to take a look at the comments that other readers have left.

If you leave a comment, please check back to this post often, as we will get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks for dropping by!



  1. Albert said...

    Many people will first take their family for granted. Have you shouted at a sibling just because she is blood related? Anyone scolded their parents before? Many people will do this but will never dare speak rudely to their friends. Stop the rage!

    ~multum in parvo~  

  2. ghost said...

    i used to think exactly like tht. felt bad for all the things people and family has done to me when all i was, a caring loving person. trying to make them happy, had this belief tht their happiness is more important than mine. after a while, i lost myself in tht, i only did things wht others wanted, i would say i lost a huge chunk of my life doing that, and it has only brought sadness, depression, and dissatisfaction. you know why... coz its wrong and u know it too... have u heard the phrase "good people come last", why does it happen... look deeper... and u'll know the exact reason.... good people are in fact deceivers. they deceive the ones they love only for their selfish desires, when from outside it seems like they are selfless. its only a personal thought, i would love to hear from you... give me more insight...this has inspired me to start a blog...follow it if like... lets discuss things tht disturb us. http://bitterugly.blogspot.com/  

  3. Generic Pharmacy said...

    On a personal level, I know that I have taken some people for granted.  

  4. www.huelva-3d.com said...

    I read really much helpful information here!  


 

Copyright 2006 | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
Modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds | Edited by Maverick.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.