Message Board

RANDTS will last a thousand years.

- Albert


It's rather funny to be inspired when you're in deep frustration. But that was what happened to me on the 28th of May.

I thought of quitting photography- to banish my dreams and hopes, and to journey as far as possible from the grips of it, but something called inspiration struck me right at the core. Instead of flinging my camera to the wall with fury, or plainly ignoring it, I took pictures with it. And... though I didn't think much while pressing the shutter button, I'm quite glad with the outcome of the pictures (and even more so after I've post-processed them in Photoshop just for fun).

DSCN 5334 copy

That's the core of a guava rested on the back of my law notes, which were used to cover the surface of my journal. Looking at this picture after some time, I came up with the decision that it looks scary. It seems like the poor guava core is undergoing some sort of postmortem surgery in a fruit morgue, and the colour filters I've layered on the original shot certainly didn't help to turn things brighter... Made the atmosphere more sinister, it did.

DSCN 5339 copy

Quite sickly looking colours I've chosen, but I like the shadows on my arm and hand.

DSCN5340 copy

A play of light and shadows. This one reminds me of shadow monsters and their allies of things that go bump in the night...

DSCN 5354 copy

It was so difficult to take the picture of my legs. I had to lie down on my bed, place my feet on the wall, position them next to the light source, and keep still while I press the shutter button (the shutter lag obviously didn't help). As a result, my legs look shorter and stumpier, but I got the (sort of) shot I wanted. Additionally, I've chosen green-blue filters, as this brings memories of mermaids and their tails, haha. So the green-blue filters to represent the colours of the ocean...

DSCN5359 copy

Before taking this shot, I switched the white balance of the camera from 'cloudy' to 'incandescent'. This picture has been rotated clockwise, and saved in Photoshop after a minor adjustment of Curves. The lamp looks like a moon here, and I have this picture displayed as the 'avatar' in Windows Live Messenger currently...

Interestingly, Joon-Wye commented that my fingers formed a heart. I didn't notice that until he told me so... =) Also, he noted that I like to take pictures of body parts, haha. But I don't think he's right.

DSCN 5361 copy

I shot my foot. 'Nuff said.


It was certainly intriguing to know that whilst dwelling in frustration and teetering on the edge of depression due to photography, I took part in it. I wanted to pause the process of taking photographs out of inspiration, habit and fun, but I failed to surrender almost entirely. It's as if I can't escape from the field itself.

I do believe it wouldn't be easy to let go of all of this. So do I, or do I not, persevere? This question has been lingering in my mind for weeks, and I chose not to give much thought to it since too much thinking often results in a melange of headaches and heartaches. Even though negative thoughts swirled in my mind and hazed it with confusion, one thing was made astonishing clear. My greatest enemy was, and always will, be me, myself and I.


7 mad rant(s):



Got something to say? Please leave a comment! Your feedback and opinions are extremely valuable to us here at RANDTS. You also might want to take a look at the comments that other readers have left.

If you leave a comment, please check back to this post often, as we will get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks for dropping by!



  1. Albert said...

    Creepy photos...haha  

  2. Jasper said...

    Your best work yet...

    Very 22nd Century Neo Goth-Emo art...  

  3. hwen said...

    (albert)
    The mood would be further enhanced with the soundtrack of Edwards Scissorhands playing in the background!


    (jaspreet)
    Thank you! 22nd century eh? Good, good... Concept worked then! *cheers*  

  4. gungrave1988 said...

    "OOOO"(OoO) Kinds of reminds me of Frankenstein. Makes me imagine a mad scientist doing some crazy experiment shouting "RISE! My creation..RISE!!!!" Rise of the living core of a guava...LOLZ. (>__<)

    Don't give up on photography. Please...(T__T)You takes pictures that people like to see. Don't just throw that dream away...  

  5. Jasper said...

    See? It even makes others get all emo-ey! >_<"  

  6. gungrave1988 said...

    [arbitary juggernaut]
    I'm not getting emo!!?! I'm just saying what I want to say. That's all. (^__^)  

  7. hwen said...

    (brian)
    Haha! Frankestein! Yes, yes, I thought of him too when I looked at the first picture again. And can you imagine Frankestein in guava disguise? *laughs ala hyena* I don't even know whether the 'suit' fits...

    Oh alright... I won't throw it away just yet. I'll keep it, and somehow nurture it... =) Thanks for your support, Brian. I appreciate it alot.


    (jaspreet)
    But it doesn't make you feel emo-ey, right?


    (brian)
    Brian, Brian... Don't worry about what Japreet said/typed. He's always looking for someone to bully *polite cough*. Cheers!  


 

Copyright 2006 | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
Modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds | Edited by Maverick.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.